LASD Reminds Drivers, Pedestrians to Be "Street Smart"
Palmdale Station has seen a significant increase in pedestrian/ traffic related fatalities. Please take a moment to view these pedestrian safety tips and share them with your loved ones.
* Be predictable. Follow the rules of the road and obey signs and signals.
* Walk on sidewalks whenever they are available.
* If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
* Keep alert at all times; don’t be distracted by electronic devices that take your eyes (and ears) off the road.
* Whenever possible, cross streets at crosswalks or intersections,
where drivers expect pedestrians. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
* If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, locate a well-lit area where you have the best view of traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic that allows enough time to cross safely; continue watching for traffic as you cross.
* Never assume a driver sees you. Make eye contact with drivers as they approach to make sure you are seen.
* Be visible at all times. Wear bright clothing during the day, and wear reflective materials or use a flashlight at night.
* Watch for cars entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
* Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking; they impair your abilities and your judgment.