LA County Superior Court Sets 90-Day Grace Period on Traffic and Non Traffic Tickets

June 17, 2020



The presiding judge of Los Angeles County's Superior Court system announced Friday that it is instituting a 90-day grace period on all traffic and non-traffic infraction tickets as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.


Read Full statement from LA County Superior Court





ATTENTION: No Traffic or Non-Traffic citation matters will be heard before June 22. If you have a hearing set before that date, please do not come to the courthouse as you will be turned away. You will receive in the mail a new date for your ticket to be heard after June 22.




The Court has provided immediate temporary relief for all traffic and non-traffic Infraction matters, including a 90-day extension on all due dates, including dates to pay, dates to appear in the Clerk's Office, and dates to appear on tickets.

If your California driver's license is suspended due to unpaid traffic tickets, you can call the Court to set a future hearing date or establish a Payment Plan and have the Court request a release of the driver's license hold from the DMV now. You should be aware that COVID-19 has affected the DMV's ability to process these requests, so there may be some delays in having the holds lifted.


All court appearances previously scheduled for any time between March 17, 2020, and June 22, 2020, on a traffic infraction or a non-traffic infraction case have been rescheduled to a new date after June 22, 2020. If you did not receive notification of your new date, you may visit the court's website at


If you are experiencing financial or other difficulty related to the Coronavirus/COVID-19, the following options are available to you.



  • Filing an Ability to Pay Petition – the judge will determine if you are able to pay the fine or make some other order.

  • Establishing a Payment Plan – you can make payments to pay off your fine.

  • If you are currently on a Payment Plan, you can request a reduction in the monthly payment amount by filing an Ability to Pay petition.

  • Requesting an extension of a Payment Plan due date – if you need more time to pay off your fine.

  • Requesting a Trial by Declaration without having to post bail – if you want to contest your citation, but don’t want to come to court.

  • Requesting an extension of Community Service completion date – you can call the courthouse to request a new completion date.

  • Requesting an extension of Traffic School completion date - if you need more time to complete it.

  • Scheduling a court date in June or beyond or establishing a Payment Plan (here) to remove a DMV hold on your license now.


Some frequently asked questions and answers are available (here). Additional information is available by selecting any of the links above.


Please reload

Please reload