Cold Weather Alert For The Antelope Valley.

February 6, 2020

 

The  Los Angeles County health officials are extending a cold weather alert due to the National Weather Service’s forecast for low temperatures. 

 

Wind chill temperatures are expected to dip below 32 degrees. 

 

• Antelope Valley – Thursday, Feb. 6 through Mon. Feb. 10
• Los Angeles County mountain areas – Thursday, Feb. 6, 2020 and Sunday, Feb. 9 through Monday, February 10 

 

Take precautions to protect yourself from the cold:

• Dress in layers of warm clothing if you plan to be outdoors.


• Protect head, hands and feet from the cold by wearing a hat, scarf, gloves, and socks

• Check on and help family members, friends and neighbors with limited mobility and limited access to heat, such as seniors or those who are ill. Check on them frequently.

Take shelter during peak cold times:

• If you don’t have a heater in your home, visit indoor public facilities such as shopping malls, libraries or senior centers.

• The Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority has a Winter Shelter Program available for those who need shelter.

Locations and transportation information are online at http://www.lahsa.org/or by calling the LA County Information line at 2-1-1 from any landline or cellphone.

"Children, the elderly and people with disabilities or special medical needs are especially vulnerable during cold weather," said Los Angeles County Health Officer Muntu Davis.

"Extra precaution should be taken to ensure they don't get too cold when they are outside."

"There are places where people can go to stay warm, such as shelters or other public facilities," Davis continued.

"We also want to remind people not to use stoves, barbeques or ovens to heat their homes due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning."

Officials also reminded people not to leave pets outside at night.

To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning when heating a home:

• Only use approved heaters, such as electric or natural gas heatersand fireplaces.

• Never use stoves, barbecues and ovens to heat your room orhome, as these appliances can produce a deadly gas known as carbon monoxidethat can collect inside your home.

• Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home to reduce the riskof poisoning.

• If you use an outdoor generator at home, place it at least 10 feetaway from all doors and windows to avoid exhaust gases entering the home. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause shortness of breath, headaches, muscle and joint pain, and nausea.

• Exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide could lead to death within minutes. Those suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning should be taken outside, into fresh air, immediately, and should be taken to an emergency room for immediate medical treatment.
 

 

Press Release

 

 

Please reload

Please reload