Cold Weather Alert For The Antelope Valley.
LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles County Health Officer is issuing a Cold Weather Alert due to the National Weather Service’s forecast for low temperatures. Wind chill temperatures are expected to be below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Affected areas include: •Antelope Valley – through Saturday, December 28 •Los Angeles County Mountain areas –through Saturday, December 28 •Santa Clarita Valley – Friday, December 27
“Children, the elderly, and people with disabilities or special medical needs are especially vulnerable during cold weather. Extra precaution should be taken to ensure they don’t get too cold,” said Muntu Davis, MD, MPH, Los Angeles County Health Officer. “There are places where people can go to stay warm, such as shelters or other public facilities. We also want to remind people not to use stoves, barbeques or ovens to heat their homes due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.” Take precautions to protect yourself from the cold: Dress in layers of warm clothing if you plan to be outdoors. Protect head, hands and feet from the cold by wearing a hat, scarf, gloves, and socks. Check on and help family members, friends and neighbors with limited mobility and limited access to heat, such as seniors or those who are ill. Check on them frequently. If you have pets, bring them indoors and do not leave them outside overnight. Take shelter during peak cold times: If you don’t have a heater in your home, visit indoor public facilities such as shopping malls, libraries or senior centers. Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning when heating your home: Only use approved heaters, such as electric or natural gas heaters and fireplaces. Never use stoves, barbecues and ovens to heat your room or home, as these appliances can produce a deadly gas known as carbon monoxide that can collect inside your home. Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home to reduce the risk of poisoning. If you use an outdoor generator at home, place it at least 10 feet away from all doors and windows to avoid exhaust gases entering the home. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause shortness of breath, headaches, muscle and joint pain, and nausea. Exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide could lead to death within minutes. Those suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning should be taken outside, into fresh air, immediately, and should be taken to an emergency room for immediate medical treatment. Los Angeles County residents and business owners, including people with disabilities and others with access and functional needs may also call 2-1-1 or visit www.211la.org for emergency preparedness information and other referral services 24 hours a day and seven days a week. For the deaf and hard of hearing, call the TDD line at 1-800-660-4026.