The City of Lancaster regards residents’ safety as a top priority. As such, the City reminds all residents that it provides six locations throughout the community for the public to obtain sand in order to fill sandbags in preparation for storm season. The sand stockpiles are located throughout Lancaster and are being made available to all Lancaster residents at no charge.
To collect sand at the identified stockpile locations, residents must bring their own tools and sandbags. All Antelope Valley fire stations are offering 25 unfilled sandbags per resident. In order to obtain the best results, residents are advised to avoid overfilling their sandbags. Leave enough room to allow for the bags to be tied off and easily stacked. Overfilling the bags may cause them to tear and not stack properly; which will in turn compromise sandbag barriers, thus allowing water to flow through openings.
The sand stockpile sites are shown below, as well as on the attached map.
Sand Stockpile Locations:
1. Northeast corner of Avenue L-8 and 6th Street West
2. 615 W. Avenue H (City of Lancaster Maintenance Yard parking lot)
3. 43000 N. 30th Street East (Soccer Center northeast corner, access off of 35th Street)
4. 44910 27th Street East (Tierra Bonita Park parking lot)
5. 32nd Street West and Avenue M (West of the drainage basin)
6. 44558 N. 40th Street West (40th Street and Newgrove Avenue, north of the fire station)
In addition, the City’s Public Works division has been preparing for the storm season in a number of ways, including clearing drainage areas of debris and vegetation, as well as grading the shoulders of roads to reduce flooding. The City’s crews are on stand-by in case of flooding or inclement weather.